Being an everyday traveller via public transport, it is hackneyed truth that I do encounter a healthy number of beggars along the way- pathways, sidewalks, bus stops, staircases, you name it they're there. And upon noticing them, I do fork out a buck or two and drop it into their little tin or plastic cup. Seeing these people make me more grateful and appreciative of what I have been blessed with in life- Great family, talents in abundance, great friends, a wonderfully long and happy relationship with someone special. But although I find myself giving alms to these people, I sometimes question their motives in my head. Do they REALLY need to resort to begging to make a living? Has life really hit rock bottom for them? Some of them are really able bodied individuals, of whom I am sure could secure some sort of work rather than hitting the streets. When I talk about this to people close to me, often i get responses telling me not to bother handing a dime to them, begging is the easy way out, they're lazy etc etc.. Be it as it may, I prefer to think of them as really needy and in dire straits.
But I guess we will never know the real truth. Yes we have all heard stories in the past how there are scams going around, and those who use their kids as a 'sympathy' gimmick, or even those pretending to be handicapped. Deceit and lies play a very big part in the world we live in today, that- we all know. Nevertheless, what ever their motives are, good or bad, I shall be one of those who drops a buck or two when cross paths with one. Its better to give them the benefit of the doubt. Cz if they are really in need, then by all means , let my one buck lighten your burden. And if its a hoax to fool the public, well, divine retribution awaits you, and my one buck will not make me any more poorer nor you any more richer.........
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment